hortus

I visited Hortus Botanicus the other day, it’s a botanic garden in Amsterdam and one of the oldest in the world (founded 1638). There are more than 4,000 plant species to see, but I spent most of my time there in a small butterfly greenhouse πŸ™‚

(1) The Julia butterfly (Dryas iulia) originates from South and Central America but because of the bright orange color it’s often called “The flying Dutchman” as orange is the national color of the Netherlands.

(2) The Zebra longwing (Heliconius charithonia) can make a creaking sound by wiggling its body. They do this when disturbed but even though I would’ve liked to hear it, I didn’t want to alarm him so I still don’t know what it sounds like.

1. Exquisite photographs Camilla. That takes some real skill. Wonderful work! πŸ™‚

October 3, 2017 at 4:46 PM

• Thanks so much, Adrian! You’re far too kind πŸ™‚ I’m getting a macro lens (Fuji will release it in Nov), hopefully more (better) pics will follow!

October 3, 2017 at 5:10 PM

2. Wonderful photos, Camilla! The light and the colouring of those butterflies is such beauty to behold! πŸ™‚

October 3, 2017 at 4:50 PM

• Thanks so much, Pete! πŸ™‚ Those butterflies are so beautiful, I wish they lived in our part of the world too πŸ™‚ Although we have lots of beautiful ones too, as you show so well on your blogs!

October 3, 2017 at 5:12 PM

• You are welcome, Camilla. And thank you πŸ™‚

October 3, 2017 at 6:08 PM

3. Wonderful detail!

October 3, 2017 at 9:46 PM

4. Nice pics as always! And as usual I learn something😊

October 3, 2017 at 10:50 PM

5. These are beautiful macros, Calee.
    Have a wonderful day!

October 4, 2017 at 12:16 PM

6. Hi!
    These are beautiful! I love the colours and the details in these. Lovely πŸ™‚

October 6, 2017 at 8:20 AM

7. Well, you’ve made me insanely jealous by mentioning the oldest botanic garden in the world…but I will just have to cope! πŸ˜‰ You did the creatures justice. I love the Longwing – unbelievable elegant! I think there are some in the southern US, but I’ve never seen one, only in books. Thanks! Have a good weekend, Camilla!

October 7, 2017 at 7:09 PM

• Thanks so much, Lynn! πŸ™‚ If you visit Amsterdam you should go to Hortus, it’s quite small but nice. I also like the Longwing, they live in the southern states in the US but I’ve never been there.. Maybe one day πŸ˜‰ Happy weekend!

October 7, 2017 at 8:36 PM

• Maybe one day….and maybe one day I’ll get to Amsterdam. Have a good week!

October 9, 2017 at 6:34 PM

8. Butterflies! one of my favorite subjects (obviously) Beautiful, super shots. Brian

November 30, 2017 at 9:33 AM

• Thanks so much, Brian! πŸ™‚ Extra nice to get a compliment from another butterfly lover!

November 30, 2017 at 8:38 PM