w43

Week 43! Two photographs of Grey heron (Ardea cinerea), the first one shows a juvenile individual and the second one an adult.

The grey heron is very common here in The Netherlands, also in urban environments. Here in Amsterdam, they are ever present and well adapted to modern city life. They hunt as usual, but also visit street markets and snackbars.

1. Looks like it was a great day in the park! I like the backdrop much better than if you’d captured them in a street market. They might look weary from haggling 😊

October 30, 2017 at 12:57 AM

• It’s always nicer to watch them in parks or forests 🙂 They’re not the most exciting birds, but they get cookie points for being cooperative with the camera!

October 30, 2017 at 6:37 AM

2. Superb captures Camilla. I love your bird photographs!

October 30, 2017 at 3:07 PM

• Thanks so much, Adrian! Not so many bird photos since I switched to Fiji and don’t have a long lens anymore, but herons are big and easy to capture 🙂

October 30, 2017 at 4:53 PM

3. Like our Great Blue Heron, which is not that comfortable with people, but it depends – I’ve seen them act skittish, but I’ve also seen them stand right next to fishermen on Florida beaches, waiting for handouts. One of my favorite birds. I like the way you’ve shown the heron with and without its neck extended. Excellent work, as always!

October 30, 2017 at 4:26 PM

• Thanks so much, Lynn! We have 3 kind of herons that are common: The grey herons are usually not skittish, but the white egret and the black-crowned night heron are a bit more difficult to get really close to. Not impossible, but it takes a bit more effort 🙂

October 30, 2017 at 5:01 PM

• Our Great egret is also less apt to tolerate humans than the Great Blue heron. Our Night herons, however – there are tow – Black-crowned & Yellow-crowned – can be comfortable at close range sometimes. When I used to take a huge ferry into work in NYC there was one that liked to hang out on the pilings next to the boat. A few Balck-crowned’s have let me get quite close over the years. In the south there are more herons and egrets but in my experience again, none are as likely to tolerate humans like the Great Blue. Still, I think it’s a very individual thing with them. All interesting, right?

November 6, 2017 at 5:04 PM

• It sure is, Lynn! Some of the grey herons here are totally unafraid of humans, dogs, cars, etc. They often stand in the middle of a small street, certain that everyone will go around them or wait until they leave.

November 6, 2017 at 6:27 PM

4. Hi, Camilla. As always, great images – and interesting supporting notes. Hope all is well with you.
    John 🙂

October 30, 2017 at 7:04 PM

5. Wonderful images. I always wonder of our Great Blue Heron is just the same species with a different name – they look so much alike.

November 5, 2017 at 7:20 PM

• Thank you! They are very similar, but not the same. The grey heron has a pale gray neck and legs, lacking the browner colors that great blue heron has there.

November 5, 2017 at 8:34 PM

• Thank you for sharing this information… Very helpful!

November 5, 2017 at 8:38 PM

• You’re welcome! I forgot to mention that some authorities argue that the blue (Ardea herodias) is a subspecies of the grey (Ardea Cinerea), but as far as I’m aware it hasn’t been formally established.

November 5, 2017 at 8:46 PM