w50

Week 50, and I got a new lens! Unfortunately not the one I’ve waited a year for Fujifilm to release (80 mm, 1:1), but I got a 60 mm (1:2) macro instead. A bit disappointing, but one of the main reasons why I switched from Canon to Fuji was because of the lightweight camera and lenses, and the new 80 mm is a brick – big and bulky 750 g compared to the small and compact 60 mm weighting only 215 g. And € 1,300 vs € 500. But there’s no doubt at all that the 80 mm is the superior lens of the two, and I look forward to see more pictures from those who got it!

So, I ended up with a lens I could’ve gotten a year ago… But no reason to cry over spilled milk! Here are the first test shots I’ve taken, I haven’t had time to walk in the forest this week so it’s one picture of planted heather outside my house and another one of my cat Tonje ❤

1. The macro lens you bought takes great pictures! Close-ups rock! 🙂

December 18, 2017 at 1:59 AM

2. Great images, so I guess it was a wise buy. But no matter which manufacturer you spend your money with, weight and bulk seems not to be high on their priority list…even when they miniaturise a camera body the lenses just seem to get chunkier. They should have learned by now that with the advent of great smart phones producing great results that many people would love a camera system that creates a loss of the weight they carry round their necks 🙂

December 18, 2017 at 8:49 AM

• Thanks David! 🙂 I fully agree; my mirrorless camera is quite small and lightweight, I don’t want to put a big and heavy lens on it! For me, the best camera is the one I have with me, and that won’t happen too often if the equipment is heavy. I would like to say that image quality comes first, but it’s not true in this case..

December 18, 2017 at 9:57 AM

3. The results look pretty good to me Camilla, even though it isn’t quite the lens you wanted

December 18, 2017 at 5:16 PM

• Thanks Mark! I had a Canon 60 mm macro lens years ago that I really liked, I hope I’ll get the same relation to this one 🙂

December 18, 2017 at 5:34 PM

4. Hi, Camilla
    These look good. It may not have been your first choice, but the resolution in these images looks great. Tonje’s coat looks really good – you can almost feel the texture. Looking forward to seeing more! 🙂

December 19, 2017 at 6:29 PM

• Thanks John! The picture of Tonje came out very sharp, when I zoom I can see every detail on the balcony reflected in her eye 🙂 I haven’t had time to use the lens much yet, but I will!

December 19, 2017 at 8:56 PM

5. That’s a huge price difference (and weight!) and I’m sorry you couldn’t get the lens you really wanted, but you’ve done a beautiful job with this one. Especially dear Tonje, how fantastic is that focus in the face area, and the light? Great! I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it before, but I’ve been using a similarly lighter weight camera, an Olympus OM D1, for a few years now, and I really like it. And their 60mm macro, which is also very sharp and bright, may be my favorite lens. I look forward to seeing what else you’re going to do!

December 19, 2017 at 10:12 PM

• Yes, it was mainly the size and weight that put me off. In the past I had a Canon 60 mm macro and a 100 mm L macro, the latter was a better lens but I used the 60 mm more. Like you, I like walking around but don’t want to carry heavy equipment 🙂

December 20, 2017 at 6:15 AM

• I think our styles are similar…and often, what catches our eyes, too.

January 16, 2018 at 8:32 PM

6. These are beautiful, Calee!

December 21, 2017 at 4:37 PM

7. The lens has great sharpness Camilla, I’m saving for a Sigma 150mm macro for my Nikon, now that’s a brick!! Happy hols!

December 22, 2017 at 7:38 PM

8. The sharpness of this lens looks great Camilla, I’m saving for a Sigma 150mm macro for my Nikon now that’s a brick!! Happy hols.

December 22, 2017 at 7:44 PM

• Thanks Brian! It would be great to have a 150 mm macro lens, but I’m guessing it weights at least 1 kg, probably more? This 60 mm (equivalent to 91 mm in 35 format) is only 215 g! My neck/shoulders/arms are happy about this choice! 🙂 Happy Holidays, I look forward to see your pictures with the Sigma in the future!

December 22, 2017 at 8:32 PM

9. Really lovely pictures, the heather is gorgeous… and so is your cat, amazing quality picture!! 😀 Good to hear you opted for a more compact camera, it seems even some of the top professionals are going that way now, only using their larger cameras when really necessary. I’m so pleased with my compact mirrorless Sony, it’s a joy to take pictures with.

I met up with an old friend recently who has taken up photography for the first time, she had a lovely Nikon, but wow, was that huge!! She carried it around all day like a small baby. She said it weighed like a heavy baby by the end of the day she was glad to pack it away.

I think it’s great news photography is returning to those smaller lighter cameras of the 60s to the 90s. And the price… yes, saves a lot of money, leaves a bit to spend on some additional lenses. Enjoy your camera!!!

January 8, 2018 at 2:01 PM

• Thanks so much, Suzy! One of the reasons why I switched to Fuji was indeed because of the smaller size and lighter weight. I was tired of carrying around heavy equipment for hours every time I went out!

January 8, 2018 at 4:05 PM

10. Beautiful! The cat looks like a little lion 🙂

January 16, 2018 at 2:14 PM

• Thanks Cristina! 🙂 Yes, she’s my little lioness!

January 16, 2018 at 4:37 PM