2018-9

It’s cold here in Amsterdam! People (and some birds, see below) are ice skating on the canals (link) 🙂

Ice skating for the first time

1. Look forward to your weekly post, that top image is so beautiful and a Ring Necked Parakeet on ice, amazing! Brian

March 4, 2018 at 3:32 PM

2. What great shots! The colours, especially the little green bird, are beautiful. He/she probably doesn’t look too impressed up close, or at least a little confused!
    Well done😊

March 4, 2018 at 3:34 PM

• Thanks so much, Tony! I got the impression that he was enjoying himself, he was sliding around while the ducks were sitting by the side, glaring at him 🙂

March 4, 2018 at 4:22 PM

3. That looks like a small parrot! I sure hope that he wasn’t lost or released!

March 4, 2018 at 9:15 PM

• It’s a rose-ringed parakeet and they’re very common here in Amsterdam! Earlier this week when it was very cold, approx 50 of them gathered in a tree in my backyard 🙂

March 4, 2018 at 9:48 PM

4. Like always…love your photography! Have a great week ! 🙂

March 5, 2018 at 12:10 PM

• Thanks so much, Cristina! Have a great week you too! 🙂

March 5, 2018 at 5:13 PM

5. I hope you enjoyed at least some aspects of it – it looks like you did! The dried Hydrangea flower is lovely, such glowing colors. But that bird looks like a caged bird to me – a parakeet. Huh? OK, I looked in the comments and there it is! They must have bred from some that escaped. San Francisco has a bunch of them too. So crazy to see one on ice!

March 5, 2018 at 5:51 PM

• I do enjoy a proper winter, I only wish it had come sooner and not when we’re waiting for spring! 🙂 This kind of parakeet were sold as pets in the 70’s and are now one of the most common city birds here. I’ve seen lots of them in London and Rome as well, where the same happened.

March 5, 2018 at 7:29 PM

• Right. And it’s good when the introduced species does not take over and displace natives, as happens so often with plants. A few European birds were introduced to NYC many, many years ago – the House sparrow an Starling for example, and they have displaced some natives. So I like seeing the exotic species and knowing the balance is still maintained.
        You may have already known about the House sparrow & Starling, but –

March 12, 2018 at 5:33 PM

• The parakeets haven’t threatened any native species but they are being monitored as they might impact native birds negatively, for example competing over nest holes with – starlings! So far, no interference has been needed though.
          In my backyard, they sit together with blackbirds, magpies, bluetits, pigeons, and various other birds.

March 12, 2018 at 7:40 PM

6. It’s a parrot ice skating! 😍

March 8, 2018 at 5:01 PM

• Yes! He seemed to enjoy it, he kept coming back to slide on the ice! 🙂

March 8, 2018 at 5:04 PM