2018-15

There are many “firsts” this time of the year! Here are the first flies of the year as well –

The first picture shows a Flesh fly (Sarcophagidae) sunbathing on a staircase. Flesh flies look a lot like house flies, but are generally larger. They are gray, have a checkerboard pattern on the top of their abdomen, three black stripes running along the top surface of their thorax just behind the head, while house flies have four, and sometimes a reddish-brown tip at the end of the abdomen.

The second picture shows a Yellow dung fly (Scathophaga stercoraria), or โ€“ if you want to make the name sound a bit nicer, which could be a challenge for a dung fly โ€“ also known as Golden dung fly. I think itโ€™s a female as she has a more of a green tone to her rather than yellow. These flies are very important in the scientific world due to their short life cycles and susceptibility to experimental manipulations, thus have contributed significant knowledge about animal behavior.

1. 2 great shots of flies, they are quite fascinating. The yellow dung fly is soo beautiful. We used to have them in our garden, but since the aster disappeared, they are more difficult to spot.

April 15, 2018 at 3:46 PM

• Thanks so much, Greta! Yes the yellow dung fly is very pretty ๐Ÿ™‚

April 15, 2018 at 4:16 PM

2. Super macro Camilla, I actually prefer the look of the Dung Fly.

April 15, 2018 at 4:20 PM

• Thanks so much, Brian! I agree, also think the dung fly looks better ๐Ÿ™‚

April 15, 2018 at 4:39 PM

3. Yes I remember when flesh flies signed that sponsorship deal with Adidas. Was quite surprised. Great sign of spring pics ๐Ÿ˜Š

April 15, 2018 at 4:21 PM

• Ah yes, those were the days. Way before โ€˜Impossible is nothingโ€™! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks Tony!

April 15, 2018 at 4:41 PM

4. Amazing photos, and interesting blog, Camilla! I am continually in awe at how diverse flies can be, and how beautiful some of their colours and patterns are.

April 15, 2018 at 8:27 PM

• Thanks so much, Pete! ๐Ÿ™‚ Flies are underrated, they are amazing if you make the effort to really study them I think!

April 16, 2018 at 11:31 AM

5. Terrific shots, Camilla. You must have a very quick shutter finger. ๐Ÿ™‚ As Pete says, it is incredible all the different types of flies there are. Glad I stumbled on your blog.

April 15, 2018 at 10:02 PM

• Thanks so much, Jane! ๐Ÿ™‚ Nice to meet a fellow Fuji shooter as well!

April 16, 2018 at 11:32 AM

6. It would be difficult not to greatly appreciate the fine detail illustrated by your incredible photography. wow

April 19, 2018 at 2:50 PM

7. Good for you! I confess, I still feel distaste for them….but I do admire what your’e doing here. ๐Ÿ™‚

April 30, 2018 at 9:30 PM

• For me it helps when I think about how incredibly useful they are and what an important role they play for all of us! ๐Ÿ™‚ Also, since I started photographing them and look closer, I can really appreciate their beauty.. My next step is to try to do the same when it comes to spiders!

May 2, 2018 at 12:44 PM