2018-17

Week 17! Two green pictures: one bug and one flower.

First, a picture of a Green dock beetle (Gastrophysa viridula). They have a shiny, metallic sheen that’s primarily green but also gold, bronze and brass colors depending on their age and which light you see them in. If you see a metallic green little beetle and wonder how to identify which one it is, you can look at the legs – Green dock beetles have metallic green legs while most others have all black legs. This one was only 4 mm long so I think it’s a male (females are bigger).

(More info and pictures of a female dock beetle here)

Garlic mustard flower (Alliara petiolata) is a biennial plant, i.e. it’s a flowering plant that takes two years to complete its biological lifecycle. In its first year it forms clumps of round shaped, slightly wrinkled leaves, that when crushed smell like garlic. In the next year it produces these beautiful cross shaped white flowers in the spring.

1. Neat, love that beetle! is the flower garlic mustard?

April 29, 2018 at 3:45 PM

• Thanks Brian! Yes, it is, and thanks for reminding me! I got carried away writing about the beetle, forgot info about the flower. Will update now! Thanks 🙂

April 29, 2018 at 3:49 PM

2. These are stunning! Among your very best. Is this the new lens at work?

April 29, 2018 at 4:49 PM

• Thanks so much, Tony! 🙂 Yes they’re taken with the 60 mm macro, and for the bug image I also used an extra filter. Unfortunately the beetle isn’t very sharp but I do like the soft bokeh 🙂

April 29, 2018 at 5:12 PM

3. Beautifully done! I love these little beetles 🙂

April 29, 2018 at 6:33 PM

4. Great shots, Calee! 🙂 Those iridescent beetles are one of my favs!

April 29, 2018 at 11:47 PM

5. Nice photography. Brilliant colours and detail in both images.
    The beetle is amazing. And just the right size in the frame. Excellent!!
    Have a great week – hope it’s not too wet over there!

April 30, 2018 at 10:42 AM

• Thanks so much, John! 🙂 Unfortunately the beetle isn’t as sharp as one would wish, but I do like the soft bokeh.
      It’s pouring here, hope you’re better off in the UK!

April 30, 2018 at 2:27 PM

6. Wow, what a gorgeous beetle that one is! Your close-up photography is excellent! I struggle and struggle with it. Garlic mustard is very invasive in New York, where I used to live.
    It ahs reaches the west and is invasive in Washington State, too:
    I really enjoyed reading your upbeat description of the plant – it’s refreshing! 🙂 I didn’t know it’s a biennial….AND that’s another beautiful image.

April 30, 2018 at 9:22 PM

• Thanks so much, Lynn! 🙂 The garlic mustard isn’t regarded invasive here, its flowers are very popular amongst bees and therefore considered as a self-pollinating plant. Also, its leaves are used as medicine for asthma and bronchitis, and can also be used as a compressor on wounds so it’s useful in those ways too. 🙂

May 2, 2018 at 12:37 PM

• Context and location make the difference between a species being invasive or not.
        And re your green beetle, I saw one that was intensely green, very small, just gorgeous, but moving way too fast to photograph. It was on the other side of the mountains here in Washington, in a dry location on a rock near a creek. I thought of you!

May 9, 2018 at 7:34 PM

• Beetles have the most amazing colors! 🙂 But sometimes you need to act like an action photographer to capture them on camera! They can run so fast..!

May 9, 2018 at 7:46 PM