2018-18

Week 18! I’m very excited to share these images with you, they’re taken with a very old lens: Pentacon 50 mm f1.8. It’s got an M-42 mount so with an adapter I can use it on my Fuji camera. And I *love* this lens! Really, it has everything I’d ever wanted in a lens: It’s sharp where it’s supposed to be and soft where it’s supposed to be (with very nice, kind of dreamy bokeh).

Modern lenses are usually big and heavy because of their autofocus functions. Old lenses don’t have autofocus, thus a fraction of the size and weight even though they’re made of metal and not plastic. You can find this fantastic little lens at flea markets or charity shops for  20-25 Euro. I kid you not! If you see one, please do yourself a favor and buy it because that’s a purchase you’ll never regret.

If you’re worried about shooting in full manual mode, please don’t be. See it as an opportunity to become a better photographer! Nowadays, everyone’s snapping away with cameras that have several automatic settings and autofocus. Shooting in manual mode means you have to take the time to really think about what you want to photograph and how to do it; You have to set the focus, aperture, etc. manually and soon you’ll have a much better understanding of light and composition as well.

Pictures taken in Amsterdamse Bos today. I don’t want to post too many pictures at once, so I’ve selected only 3 examples of what this lens can do. No filters or photoshopping has been done, besides adding a small signature, these pictures are straight out of camera.

Red forest ant

Bubble bokeh

The Map (Araschnia levana) is a beautiful but skittish little butterfly. The most unusual fact about this butterfly is that its two annual broods look very different. The summer brood are black with white markings, looking like a miniature version of the White admiral and lacking most of the orange of the pictured spring brood.

1. Very nice too Camilla!

May 6, 2018 at 4:52 PM

2. Merce Yahoo

Beautiful post! 💝

Regards,

Mercedes

May 6, 2018 at 5:16 PM

3. Beautifully done, Camilla!

May 6, 2018 at 5:28 PM

4. Very nice!

May 6, 2018 at 5:56 PM

5. These are lovely! Great images, and it shows what can be done without all of the latest kit!
    We all know that it isn’t the camera ( or the lens ) – 99% of photography is about the person behind the camera – and you are consistently producing some beautiful images.
    Keep it up 🙂 🙂

May 6, 2018 at 6:31 PM

• Thanks so much, John!
      Oh the annoyance when people say ‘What a great picture, you must have a really good camera..’
      🙂
      Have a good week ahead, greetings to Daphne as well!

May 6, 2018 at 7:10 PM

6. More awesome pics! Magazine worthy to say the least.

May 6, 2018 at 9:56 PM

• Thanks Tony! That’s far too kind, but I’m super happy with this lens! 🙂

May 7, 2018 at 4:25 AM

7. I can see why you cherish this lens! 🙂

May 7, 2018 at 1:35 AM

8. I learn something every time I stop by!! Fantastic photos!🤗🤗🤗

May 7, 2018 at 5:17 AM

9. Impressive, lovely shallow depth of field

May 7, 2018 at 9:31 AM

• Thanks Mark! 🙂 I’ve heard people find this lens for £5 (!!) at charity shops in the UK, if you have the chance you should definitely get one!

May 7, 2018 at 10:54 AM

10. Love them! Your photography is always awesome 🙂

May 8, 2018 at 1:17 PM

• Thanks Cristina! I appreciate your visits and kind words! 🙂

May 8, 2018 at 5:17 PM

11. Gorgeous. I especially love how the ant comes out very jewel-like, almost translucent, with the help of this lens.

May 9, 2018 at 1:39 AM

12. Beautiful work, Camilla – they’re dreamy and lovely, and fit the season well. Though I’m sure the lens will work beautifully in any season. It sounds quite a lot like one I bought for a simialr price – a Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4. I use a similar adapter. It can be hard to focus but it has produced some really nice images. The ant image is fantastic, really beautiful. The buttercups are so soft – I can see the special quality that these older lenses have very clearly, and it’s a picture one could look at all day. And the butterfly – another very interesting piece of information. I look forward to seeing more!

May 9, 2018 at 7:56 PM

• Thanks so much, Lynn! I really appreciate your comments! These old lenses are amazing, I’ve only used mine a few times, but it was love at first click 🙂 Focusing was a bit of a challenge, but that’s part of the fun.

May 9, 2018 at 8:59 PM

• One thing I realized was that it helps to use the LCD screen and put my reading glasses on! 😉 It’s annoying, but it does give me a better idea of what might be happening. I’m glad you have this lens to play with right at the time all the insects are coming out!

May 15, 2018 at 5:38 PM

• I will try to use the screen as well! Thanks for the tip 🙂

May 16, 2018 at 6:15 AM

13. I really like that third photo!

May 21, 2018 at 4:07 PM