2018-20

Two different takes on two different kinds of butterflies-

(1) Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria), photographed today with Fuji 18-135 mm + Raynox 150. Goal was to get close to the butterfly and capture as much detail as possible. Picture not edited except it’s been slightly cropped.

(2) Green-veined white (Pieris napi), photographed with Pentacon 50 mm. Goal was to capture the moody light in the forest, not so much details in the butterfly (although enough to determine that it’s a female spring brood). Picture not edited or cropped.

Would you do me a favor and let me know which one you prefer? Not saying one is “better” than the other, but just curious to know your preference. You can use the voting buttons below! Thanks 🙂

1. Two great images. Super detail and colouring in both. As always, the added information adds a lot, So thanks for that! 😎

May 20, 2018 at 4:17 PM

• Thanks so much, John! for taking the time to comment on your vote as well. Good to know! Have a great week ahead! 🙂

May 20, 2018 at 4:45 PM

2. I have to qualify my vote! I like them both but am drawn (by my dark character I suppose) to the second one. I really like the lighter subject on a darker background, in this instance anyway, or vice versa like the ants a few weeks ago. Just my opinion though and they are all really good!

May 20, 2018 at 4:48 PM

• Thanks so much, Tony! 🙂 I know exactly what you mean.. I Initially cropped the image but that didn’t work at all. I prefer to see the shadows and keep the image a bit moody. 😉

May 20, 2018 at 5:58 PM

3. Both nice shots C, the second has nice atmosphere.

May 20, 2018 at 5:51 PM

• Thanks so much, Brian! 🙂 I realized after posting that it’s a bit of a strange comparison.. The first shot is really all about the butterfly, and the second more about the atmosphere. Perhaps they shouldn’t be compared as “butterfly vs butterfly”

May 20, 2018 at 6:00 PM

• I like to mix the two type of shots, sometimes just a close up of a butterfly loses it’s sense of place. Just got back from a long weekend away, lots of images to sort through, two new species seen!

May 20, 2018 at 6:06 PM

• Wow, that’s exciting! 🙂 So nice when that happens, isn’t it! I look forward to see your finds soon then.

May 20, 2018 at 6:16 PM

4. The top image has some lovely detail in the close-up, yet the bottom image is so dreamy and serene. Very nice images!

May 20, 2018 at 5:53 PM

• Thanks so much, Pete! 🙂 I appreciate you taking the time to visit and comment!

May 20, 2018 at 6:01 PM

5. Outstanding detail in the first picture! WOW! I assume this was taken by your Fuji? I must admit I am impressed. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

May 20, 2018 at 9:48 PM

• Thanks so much, Amy! 🙂 Yes, it’s taken with a Fuji kit lens (not macro, but an extra glass). It’s not as good as your new lens, but it works 🙂 I’m still debating if I should get the 80 mm macro lens or not!

May 20, 2018 at 10:01 PM

• I have learned the hard way not to act unless I am 100% certain to do so when making purchase decisions. If this is the right choice for you to buy that macro lens, you will know one way or another. 😙

May 20, 2018 at 11:23 PM

• I fully agree! That’s exactly my approach as well. Thanks Amy! 🙂

May 21, 2018 at 3:38 AM

6. Both photos have their advantages, as I know you’re aware. If I had to vote (and I did!) I choose the second, because it has magic. But I trust you’re not going to give up the “normal” lenses, are you? 😉

May 22, 2018 at 8:55 PM

• Thanks so much, Lynn! I really appreciate your input. No, I’m not stopping that at sll, but I’ve been debating if I should get a state of the art macro lens (Fuji 80 mm), but I don’t feel the need for it now 🙂 I’m having too much fun with the somewhat whimsical Pentacon!

May 23, 2018 at 12:55 PM

• And were the Cardinal beetle photos done with the Pentacon too? If so, wow, you’re mastering that lens! And they really have that same magic, that life.

May 29, 2018 at 1:58 AM

• The first and last two shots were taken with the Pentacon 🙂 It’s a bit of a trial and error thing, but I like learning! Thanks Lynn 🙂

May 29, 2018 at 6:39 AM