2018-23

Some random pictures I’ve taken with the Pentacon 50 mm lens… Have a nice week everyone!

Helophilus pendulus literally means “dangling march-lover”

The Donacia clavipes has amazing colors!

HUGE eyes…. and a goatee!

1. Merce Yahoo

So beautiful pics!!!!

Regards,

Mercedes

June 10, 2018 at 7:15 PM

2. Is that a genuine Pentacon 50mm lens like I used on my old Practika Super TL? Good results especially as you’re outside of its design parameters! 🙂 I think I can help you with your hoverfly in picture 3 – it looks like (Helophilus pendulus) 🙂

June 10, 2018 at 7:34 PM

• Yes it is! This lens is about ~45 years old although I’ve only had it for a few weeks. It was love at first click! I use it with a converter on my Fuji. Thanks for the ID! 🙂

June 10, 2018 at 7:53 PM

• I remember that lens and the Super TL very well – it was a ‘lucky’ camera and I got some wonderful transport shots with it back in the mid 1970’s Great to see you putting the lens to new use – Wonderful 🙂

June 10, 2018 at 7:56 PM

• Thanks! Old lenses are so underestimated.. A lot of people become “gear hunters” and think they always need the latest of everything, but there are so many great lenses out there already! 🙂 and for a fraction of the price.

June 10, 2018 at 8:07 PM

• I’m now intrigued to know which Fuji you’re using! I currently use the X-Pro2 for my transport and general photography although my nature photography is usually done with the Canon 5D mkIII and a Sigma 150mm lens.

June 10, 2018 at 8:14 PM

• Ah, a fellow Fuji shooter, how nice! 🙂 I’m using an X-T1 for everything. I had Canons in the past, but sold all with no regrets except I sometimes miss my 100 mm 2.8L macro lens.

June 11, 2018 at 5:53 AM

3. That old lens has a lovely quality, the bokeh is superb, a great find for you.

June 10, 2018 at 7:38 PM

• Thanks Brian! I love this lens, it’s quickly becoming my favorite to bring on photowalks 🙂

June 10, 2018 at 7:54 PM

4. Beautiful moments you have captured so finely, Camilla! Have a great week!

June 10, 2018 at 7:42 PM

5. Very nice stuff, Camilla! 🙂

June 10, 2018 at 9:16 PM

6. Lovely shots, Camilla. There is a beautiful softness to the backgrounds of these images that is really attractive and is highlighted by the extremely shallow depth of field. Are you using focus peaking with this lens, which undoubtedly you are using in a completely manual mode?

June 10, 2018 at 11:29 PM

• Thanks so much, Mike! This lens has a sort of “dreaminess” about it that I really like.. Indeed, it’s only possible to use it in manual mode, but focus peaking works. I don’t use it all the time though because this isn’t a macro lens so for the really small bugs focus peaking can be distracting (i.e. I can’t see the bug anymore) 🙂

June 11, 2018 at 5:59 AM

7. Great images – as always, Camilla! Your fondness of that lens comes through on these shots. It’s all been said by others more wise – so I won’t repeat it 🙂 Take care and keep shooting!!

June 14, 2018 at 6:26 AM

• Thanks so much, John! 🙂 This lens has reignited my love for random nature shots! Happy shooting you too!

June 14, 2018 at 7:15 AM

8. Wow, you are doing really gorgeous work with that lens! I’m so glad you got it. These are a treat to see. More! More! More! 🙂

June 18, 2018 at 3:31 PM

• Thanks so much, Lynn! I haven’t been able to go on any photowalk outside the city lately, but coming weekend I’m going no matter what 😉 Already looking forward!

June 18, 2018 at 6:49 PM